Wanzhen Lu Chinese student, who was violently taken from an underground parking garage in Markham, Ontario, north of Toronto on Saturday, has been found safe, and in good health.
Const. Andy Pattenden with York Regional Police told a news conference late Tuesday night that the 22-year-old Lu appeared at a home in Gravenhurst, Ont., earlier in the evening and asked the homeowner for help.
Pattenden did not explain how Lu got there, but said the Ontario Provincial Police were called to the home about 180 km north of Toronto and that Lu was taken to a hospital for treatment of what he described as minor injuries
York regional police said Wanzhen Lu, 22, was shocked multiple times by a man with a stun gun in a violent kidnapping in the underground parking garage of his condominium north of Toronto on March 23, 2019.
Pattenden said Lu’s parents, who travelled to Toronto after receiving news of their son’s abduction, were relived by the news of his safety. “Our investigators have been able to provide this great news to the family,” he said.
On Tuesday morning, police announced the arrest of a 35-year-old Toronto man in connection with the kidnapping. He has since been released and no charges have been laid. Police declined to comment further on what prompted the arrest.
Pattenden cautioned the investigation – which has drawn upon organised crime and intelligence units – remained ongoing, with the four suspects still at large. “We’re very concerned that they’re still out there,” said Pattenden.