The Osaka Government has decided to allow elementary and junior high school students to bring smartphones with them to school, starting this April.
According to Fuji report; the decision comes after the Ministry of education, Culture, Sports, Science and technology said Tuesday. It was reviewing its policy that bans elementary and junior school students from bringing smartphones to school.
The policy dates back to 2009 when the ministry set a guideline that bringing smartphones to school should be prohibited in general because they could be disruptive to educational activities.
An earthquake in June of last year, parents complained that they were unable to contact their children to confirm their safety. That is also one of the reasons bring smartphones to the schools.
Education Minister Masahiko Shibayama said the Ministry will consider adjusting its policy. To adapt to changes in the social environment and situations surrounding young students. He said students will be required to keep the smartphones in their bags during classes.